Lake Filsø - Tipperne
From the Stone Age and up to the year 1848, Filsø was a giant lake located just west of the city of Varde. Spreading over almost 7.000 acres it was the biggest in Jutland and the second biggest in all the country. But only four years later, most of the water had been pumped away to create space for farming and in the years 1940-47 the rest of the lake was drained. In total, almost 3.000 acres of what used to be lake was now being used for farming instead.
In 2010, the Aage V. Jensen Fund for Nature Conservancy purchased the area around Filsø with the intent of restoring the original lake and create a unique piece of nature for both people and animals to enjoy. That dream became a reality two years later and Filsø is now back to being an important rest stop for 234 different bird species, including the rare gull-billed tern, cranes, herons, Eurasian spoonbills and the mighty white-tailed eagle.
[Source: Lake Filsoe]
Tipperne is a peninsula that is located in the southern end of Ringkøbing Fjord, Region Midtjylland, on the west coast of Jutland, Denmark. The area, an important stopover for migratory birds, was created by sand deposits and is only a few hundred years old. It has been publicly owned since the latter half of the 18th century, and in 1898 provisions on conservation were introduced to protect the rich bird life in the area. In 1928 a bird reservation was established and a groundskeeper was hired.
The reserve, which falls under the control of Denmark's Environmental Ministry and is managed by the Danish Forest and Nature Agency, has a total area of about 2,200 ha, of which about 1,500 ha are shallow water areas around the peninsula. Tipperne is an international area of importance for waterfowl in accordance with the Ramsar Convention and EF's bird protection directive.
So that the birds may have peace and quiet, Tipperne is normally closed to the public.
[Source: Wikipedia: Tipperne]